- This topic is empty.
February 22, 2021 at 5:44 pm #5117adminKeymaster
NEMISA Data Science Hackathon 2021
A data-driven approach to policy decisions
Venue: Sol Plaatje University, Kimberley, Northern Cape
Dates: 26-28 February 2021 (Friday to Sunday)
• Data-informed recommendations for government policies
• Prototype products or digital solutions that address challenges within Provincial and Local Government departments and other sectors
• New digital start-ups aligned with Local Government
• Skills Development (21st century skills training)
• Peer learning among all stakeholders
Key role-players: NEMISA, Industry, Data science companies, Hackers (Youth), Hackers (Government) and Academia (Universities, TVETs and Private Colleges).
NEMISA is hosting a National Data Science Innovation Hackathon on 26-28 February 2021, as part of their National Skills Development Plan and Digital Skills Strategy. Data science is the art and science of extracting meaning out of data. The art of data science is where tools are used to extract meaning from data. The art represents the variety of focus, mandate and context and therefore reveals different answers, while the science represents proven methods to predict outcomes.
Government and Youth, in partnership with data science enthusiasts, are invited to innovate new government solutions. The participants will be from Northern Cape Province. Working with data that Government can make available during the hackathon, will assist in customising and localising the solutions for these provinces.
CONTEXT AND BACKGROUND
NEMISA’s original mandate was to train previously disadvantaged individuals, particularly women, and equip them with basic to advanced digital skills to enable them to play a significant role in the constantly changing technology environment. This mandate has extended to promote and guide the development, training, learning, research, and innovation of digital skills. The institute has a critical role in minimizing the digital divide while preparing government and society to adapt and embrace future technological changes.
As a national catalyst for digital skills training, NEMISA integrates digital skills interventions so that impact is maximised and aligned with national goals. These national goals are outlined in the following documents as well as other related policies and plans:
• National Development Plan 2030 (NDP)
• 2016 National Integrated ICT Policy White Paper
• National Skills Development Plan
• 2014 SA Connect Broadband Policy
• White Paper on Post-School Education and Training
• Digital Skills Strategy
• National Human Resources Development Strategy
By developing and enhancing digital skills, all South Africans will be able to participate more equitably in a societal environment increasingly dominated by advanced digital technologies. This is even more urgent with the advent of the 4th Industrial Revolution (4IR).
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.